Thursday, June 24, 2010

Arona airstrip closure affects travellers

 Thursday, 24 June 2010 09:51


ARONA airstrip on Ulawa island, Makira-Ulawa Province has remained closed due to land dispute.

The airstrip was shut down a month ago after an argument broke out between landowning groups in the area.

This has denied air service to the people on the island.

This week those affected by the closure called on landowners to allow the airstrip to reopen while they sort their problem.

A spokesman Abraham Pasihi said those wishing to travel by air are affected by the closure.

“In fact we are in the dark as to the status of the dispute,” he said.

Mr Pasihi challenged the landowners to quickly resolve their problem so that flights can resume.

George Satu from the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) confirmed yesterday the airstrip remained close due to land dispute.

He said they have not been advised whether the dispute has bee resolved at this stage.

He said because of the dispute the Civil Aviation has advised the Solomon Airlines to cancel all services to the island.

A spokesperson for the airlines has also confirmed that there are no services o the island for the past weeks.


By MOFFAT MAMU

[source: http://www.solomonstarnews.com/]

1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody, My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete